Update on easing of shielding for children, announcements on returning to school and more...
A short update on recent Covid-19 developments from Emma, Genetic Alliance UK’s Policy and Engagement Manager for Wales.
- Took concerns over updates on easing shielding guidelines for children to a meeting with the Welsh government and asked for clarification on children in Wales receiving letters from their paediatricians saying that they no longer need to shield.
- Useful guidance has been published by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health saying that some children no longer need to shield. Paediatricians in Wales have been writing to parents to tell them this.
- The Welsh government has said that everyone who receives one of these letters over the summer will be able to have a conversation with their clinician about whether or not they need to carry on shielding.
Those children who are told they no longer need to shield won’t have to re-shield if lockdown is implemented again.
- Welsh Education Minister, Kirsty Williams, announced £2.6 million to be given to local authorities to enhance their childcare and play opportunities for children ages 5-16 to help those who need more support over the summer holidays.
- It was also announced this week that all children will return to school full time in September. If parents are concerned about their children returning to school, for example if they’re shielding, then there will be no fines if your child doesn’t return to school.
- Consultation launched this week on embedding a new whole-school approach to mental health and well-being. The government are looking feedback on this new feedback, which you can give here.
- Vaughn Gething, Health Minister, announced that video consultations will be extended to cover pharmacy, optometry and dentistry in Wales.
- At the end of July another Genomics Cafe is taking place focusing on Covid-19 and genomics.
For more information please email email@example.com.
Related news and updates
Coming out of shielding
Jane Edwards tells us what shielding has been like for her and her family, and how she is adapting to slowly coming out of shielding.